David Brittain joined the firm in 1982 and has been a Shareholder since 1987. His practice includes real estate development, transactions and finance, commercial real estate leasing, and the law of condominium and property owner associations.
Additional Practice Areas:
• Commercial, resort and residential development, including complex
condominium, mixed-use, and Planned Unit Development projects
• Construction contracting and administration
• Real property transactions and investments, including distress asset
acquisitions and dispositions
• Commercial real estate lease negotiation and documentation, including leases
with respect to office, retail shopping center, and stand-alone building projects
• Zoning, land use, and environmental due diligence and counseling
• Loan workouts, restructurings, and complex real estate litigation representation
• Represented numerous developers in Florida and the southeastern United
States in connection with shopping center, office, and stand-alone projects,
including related land development matters (such as off-site drainage, zoning
and land use, environmental and permitting issues) and the negotiation and
documentation of large-scale commercial facility leases.
• Represented owner/developers in numerous securitized transactions in which
the collateral was shopping center or office properties.
• Acted as counsel to developer or lender in residential, mixed use,
condominium, mobile home, and dockominium/rackominium projects, and in
connection with such projects handled the negotiation and documentation of
numerous construction and development agreements.
• Represented both sellers and buyers in numerous sales and/or financings of
office, shopping center, hotel and motel properties, including construction loans
for new facilities.
• Handled large scale investment acreage transactions throughout Florida for
private investors and developers, for mining, timbering, development, and
• Represented numerous lenders in structuring acquisitions and dispositions of
condominium units in bulk transactions throughout Florida, including
counseling with respect to avoiding subsequent developer liability under the
Florida Condominium Act.
• Rendered third party legal opinions to numerous lenders as borrower counsel
in complex financing transactions involving real property.
• Represented a Tampa-based developer in site acquisition, financing,
development and construction, as well as all project leasing, of a major retail
shopping center at Dale Mabry Highway and I-275, including pad site and
in-line store lease negotiations and documentation.
• University of Florida College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1982)
• University of Florida Warrington School of Business (M.B.A. 1982)
• Furman University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1978)
Bar and Court Admissions:
• Florida Bar
• Middle District of Florida Bar
Honors & Distinctions:
• Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
• Board Certified in Real Estate Law
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
• The Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law) 2007-2013
• The Best Lawyers in America Tampa Bay Lawyer of the Year
(Real Estate Law) 2010
• Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2006-2012
• Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2012
Presentations and Publications:
Author and lecturer of numerous continuing education materials on real estate transactions, legal opinions in commercial transactions, development, commercial leasing, and finance for The Florida Bar, NBI, Strafford, and Lorman Seminars.
Professional Community Involvement:
• The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, Executive Council
• Co-Chair of the Legal Opinions Committee of the Real Property, Probate, and
Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar
• Author of portions of the “Report on Standards for Third-Party Legal Opinions
of Florida Counsel” issued by the Legal Opinion Standards Committee of
the Business Law Section and the Legal Opinions Committee of the Real
Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar