Additional Practice Areas:
• Inverse Condemnation
• Property Rights Litigation
Paul D. Bain joined Trenam Kemker in October 2011 in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group. Paul has represented people and businesses in eminent domain and property rights litigation across Florida for over 20 years in state and federal courts. His clients include large and small land and business owners with collectively over 100,000 acres of property. He has served in leadership of Florida eminent domain and published and lectured in state and national forums.
• Represented Kissimmee River property owner against water management
district’s fee simple and flowage easement takings of 1,557 acres,
recovering over $22,250,000 along with reduced taking.
• Represented bank against partial taking for road right-of-way, recovering
$650,000 following initial offer of $18,600.
• Represented moving and storage business against proposed closure
of access on state highway system, negotiating resolution preserving
continued site access and operations.
• Represented property owner against pipeline easement taking, recovering
$750,000 following initial offer of $23,000.
• Represented phosphate mining property owner against proposed pipeline
easement taking, recovering $6,000,000 following initial offer of $555,000.
• Represented shopping center owner against partial taking for elevated flyover
road construction, recovering $3,500,000 following initial offer of $790,000.
• Represented shopping center anchor tenant against partial taking for one-way
frontage road construction, negotiating resolution eliminating frontage road and
preserving direct access to state highway system.
• Represented gas and convenience store business against partial taking for
road right-of-way, recovering $850,000 following initial offer of $124,000.
• Representing property owner against pipeline company, obtained decision
from appellate court denying pipeline company the authority to take private
property in advance of entry of a final judgment, reversing over 50 years of
pipeline company practice.
• University of Florida College of Law (J.D.), 1993
– Florida Law Review, Senior Research Editor
– Legal Research and Writing Teaching Fellow
• John B. Stetson University (B.A.), 1990
– Mortar Board
– University President’s Leadership Cabinet
– Crew Team, Founding Member
Bar and Court Admissions:
• United States District Court, Middle, Southern and Northern Districts of Florida
• United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
• United States Court of Federal Claims
Honors & Distinctions:
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
• The Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2014
• Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2005-2011, 2013
• Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
• 2008 Broward College Distinguished Alumni, Broward College Foundation,
• Co-Author, “The Power of Eminent Domain,” Chapter 2, Florida Eminent
Domain Practice & Procedure, (8th ed. 2012).
• Author, “'Risky Business’ Damages in Florida Eminent Domain: Will all risks
associated with relocation be placed on the owner?” Petrogram, Spring 2009.
• Author, “Recovering Damages for Loss of Access in Eminent Domain,”
Petrogram, Winter 2006.
• Author, “Recovering Business Damages When the Government Takes Your
Property,” Petrogram, Fall 2005.
• Author, “Impeaching Expert Witnesses,” Hillsborough County Bar Association
Lawyer 24, 2003.
• Author, “New Eminent Domain Laws: Are Property Owners Still Protected,”
Florida Realtor, March 2000.
• Author, “1999 Amendments to Florida's Eminent Domain Statutes,” The Florida
Bar Journal, Nov. 1999.
• Co-Author, “Authority to Exercise Power,” Chapter 2, Florida Eminent Domain
Practice & Procedure, (5th ed. Supp. 1999), (6th ed. 2003), (7th ed. 2008).
• Author, “Litigating the Road Case,” National Business Institute, Road and
Access Law In Florida Seminar, 1999.
• Author, “Enforcing Settlement to Ensure Full Compensation,” Hillsborough
County Bar Association Lawyer 15, 1997.
• Author, “Cost to Cure,” Florida Conference of Circuit Judges, Eminent Domain
Seminar, 142-58, 1995, 2000, 2004.
• Author, “Broward County v. Patel: Reducing Full Compensation to a Mere
Probability,” The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee Newsletter,
Vol. 8, p.8, 1995.
• Author, “A Review of the Law of Access,” The Florida Bar Continuing Legal
Education Committee and the Eminent Domain Committee, Condemnation
• Co-Author, “Contamination Stigma: Defending the Landowner Against the New
Scarlet Letter in Eminent Domain,” Institute on Planning, Zoning and Eminent
• Co-Author, “The Critical Role of Experts in Creating a Legal and Practical Cost
to Cure in Eminent Domain,” Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee,
Litigation Section, American Bar Association Annual Meeting, 1994.
• Co-Author, “Is Full Compensation Certain or Merely Probable?” Hillsborough
County Bar Association Lawyer 16, 1994.
• “Get on the Case: Reviewing This Year's Eminent Domain Law,” CLE
International 13th Annual Florida Eminent Domain Super Conference, 2009.
• “Why Buy the Cow When You Can Get the Milk for Free? A Review of Forced
Dedications,” CLE International 8th Annual Texas Eminent Domain Super
• “Eminent Domain Law: How Does Texas Measure Up?,” CLE International
8th Annual Texas Eminent Domain Super Conference, 2009.
• “Hot Property: Florida Case Law Update,” CLE International 10th Annual Florida
Eminent Domain Super Conference, 2006.
• “Forced Dedications,” CLE International Florida Regulatory Takings Seminar,
• Program Co-Chair, CLE International 7th Annual Florida Eminent Domain
• “Discovery Disputes: How to Get the Most Information with the Least Amount of
Pain; What You Can Get and What You Can’t,” CLE International 6th Annual
Florida Eminent Domain Conference, 2002.
• “Don’t Get Taken’ by a Government Taking,” Florida Petroleum Marketers and
Convenience Store Association, Annual Convention and Trade Show Workshop,
• “Overview and Update on Wetlands Regulation and Takings,” CLE International,
Florida Wetlands & Mitigation Banking Seminar, 1999.
• “Litigating the Road Case” and “Methods of Public Road Creation,” National
Business Institute, Road and Access Law In Florida Seminar, 1999.
• “Chiseling Away at Full Compensation with ‘Mitigation’ and ‘Cost to Cure,’”
Hillsborough County Bar Association, Eminent Domain Seminar, 1994.
• The Florida Bar
– Eminent Domain Committee, 1994-present
• Hillsborough County Bar Association
– Eminent Domain Committee, 1994-present
– Vice-Chair, 2003-2004
• CLE International 13th Annual Florida Eminent Domain SuperConference,
Program Co-Chair, 2009
• CLE International 7th Annual Florida Eminent Domain SuperConference,
Program Co-Chair, 2003
• International Council of Shopping Centers, Associate Member
• Florida Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, Member
• Florida Self Storage Association, Member
• Local Church
• Classical Conversations Tampa