Alexander Zesch is an associate in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Group. His practice focuses on bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, business law, business litigation, and foreclosure litigation.
Earlier in his career, Alexander gained extensive experience practicing international arbitration in Frankfurt, Germany, and civil litigation in Florida, where he successfully represented both insurers and insureds through judicial resolution or negotiated favorable settlement agreements.
Before becoming an attorney, Alexander worked as a journalist in Memphis, Tennessee, and for several years in the Tampa Bay region.
- Represented holder of $30-million-plus tort judgment in judgment debtor’s Chapter 7 bankruptcy and later Chapter 11 bankruptcies of debtor’s businesses, obtaining denial of discharge of debtor, securing remand proceedings supplementary to state court, and obtaining extension of lis pendens on debtor’s real properties to preserve assets for collection.
- Represented holder of nursing home negligence judgment in nursing home’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Represented tort claimant in chapter 11 bankruptcy of landlord.
- Represented residential landlord in obtaining stay relief in tenants’ pro se bankruptcy, including defense against motion for sanctions.
- Represented real estate investment group in obtaining stay relief in bankruptcy of borrower and investigation of borrower-debtor’s business for fraudulent transfers.
- Represented private lender mortgagees in obtaining dismissal of borrower’s bankruptcy for bad faith after borrower issued purchase money mortgage and made no payments.
- Represented real estate investor borrower in adversary proceeding against lender’s assignee, where assignment violated borrower’s separate contractual agreement with assignee.
- Represented seller of funeral home business in enforcing promissory note against buyers and guarantors in bankruptcy and state courts.
- Represented private real estate investor in Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing to preserve asset and obtain favorable workout with co-owners and lenders.
- Represented medical professional in repurchase of Chapter 7 debtor’s interest in medical business from trustee.
- Represented holder of equitable lien imposed by divorce court in former spouse’s Chapter 13 bankruptcy and obtained favorable resolution of lien claim.
- Represented insurer of debtor in involuntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy where insurer was target of bad faith litigation by Chapter 7 trustee and tort claimants.
Commercial and Real Estate Litigation
- Represented shareholder in real estate investment company in fiduciary breach of duty and dissolution litigation against business partner.
- Represented limited liability company member of dive school and rental business in litigation against adverse member to resolve deadlock.
- Represented private lender in foreclosure action against family members, including resolution of subject property’s homestead status in probate court.
- Represented member of limited liability company in solar installation industry in dispute with adverse member and appointment of receiver.
- Represented commercial fishing enterprise in dispute with landlord over maintenance responsibilities and obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented property insurer in federal court in obtaining summary judgment against homeowner in unsubstantiated sinkhole claim case.
- Represented property insurer in federal court in obtaining summary judgment against homeowner’s duplicate hurricane claim.
- Represented buyer in asset purchase from custom automobile manufacturer.
- Represented buyer in asset purchase from professional association.
- Represented buyer in asset purchase from recreational boat rental business.
- Represented seller in asset purchase agreement and lease assignments involving footwear retail stores.
- Represented local restaurateur in formation of limited liability companies for new restaurant ventures.
- Represented defense contractor in admission of new members to limited liability company.
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Leadership St. Pete, Class of 2020 Graduate
- "Retailers likely to buy time, but not much else, in longer holiday shopping season," Tampa Bay Business Journal, November 2020
- "Florida’s New Receivership Act Provides a New Option for Lenders," Daily Business Review, November 2020
- "Secret No More: Does the Trustee Control the Debtor’s Attorney-Client Privilege?" Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association Cramdown, Summer 2019
- CIETAC’s New Rules: A View through the Critic’s Lens, The Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration, (2012) 16 VJ (2)