Lori Vaughan represents clients in complex bankruptcy and creditors’ rights matters with a focus on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights related litigation. She regularly represents creditors, Chapter 11 and 7 bankruptcy trustees, creditor and equity committees, and corporate debtors in federal and state court. Lori also has considerable experience representing parties in related appeals before the District Court and the Courts of Appeals.
Lori is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy and has practiced before the federal courts in Florida, New York, Delaware, Colorado and Michigan, among others. She joined Trenam in 2007 after practicing in the business reorganizations group of a national law firm, the last year of which was spent in its New York City office. Prior to that, Lori served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Karen S. Jennemann, United States Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida.
Lori is heavily involved in the legal and local community. She currently sits on the board of the USF Financing Corporation and USF Property Corporation. She is past chair of the Bankruptcy/UCC Committee of the Florida Bar, Business Law Section and sits on the boards of the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation and the Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association where she serves as Secretary and is the incoming President.
Trustees & Fiduciaries
- Represented chapter 7 trustee for travel website in recovering fraudulent transfers against foreign defendants and recovering nearly $1 million for the estate through avoidance actions.
- Represented chapter 7 trustee in successful appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals allowing imposition of equitable lien on homestead property resulting from fraudulent transfer and resulting 100% payout to creditors.
- Represented liquidating trustee in chapter 11 of parent company providing health and managed care serviced through several regulated subsidiaries.
- Represented chapter 7 trustee in bankruptcy of manufacturer of batteries used in missile systems.
- Represented chapter 7 trustee in appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals successfully updating the law on good faith as a requirement for the mere conduit defense to a fraudulent transfer action.
Avoidance Action Defendants
- Represented regional supermarket in successful defense of avoidance action using novel legal theory.
- Defended investor in avoidance action filed by trustee in Madoff liquidation.
- Represented office furniture retailer in successful defense of fraudulent transfer action after 2 day trial before the federal district court.
- Represented creditors committee in jointly administered chapter 11 of six nursing homes in Florida.
- Represented Official Committee of Equity Holders in the Chapter 11 of Biovest International, Inc. - a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented the Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of a Puerto Rican telecommunications company.
- Represented approximately 15 different airports (both individually and as consortiums) in the bankruptcies of Northwest Airlines Corp. and Delta Air Lines, Inc.
- Represented chapter 11 debtor in bankruptcy of 244 unit condo-hotel with $7 million in annual revenues.
- Represented debtor in defense of $2 million non-dischargeability action.
- Represented debtor in chapter 11 of Waffle House franchisee with 146 locations in Florida, Georgia and Virginia.
- Represented a tier 1 auto-supplier as debtor-in-possession in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented as debtor-in-possession a fixed-base operator at a Florida airport.
Financial Institutions/Secured Creditors
- Represented lender in contested foreclosures of three related resort properties in Naples, Florida based on mortgages totaling over $89 million.
- Represented insurance company lender in contested foreclosure of $10 million mortgage on citrus groves.
- Represented lender in contested foreclosure of $47 million mortgage on condominium development in the Florida Keys.
Honors and Distinctions
- Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification
- The Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy & Creditor-Debtor Rights, Bankruptcy Litigation), 2018-2019
- Chambers USA Ranked, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2017-2018
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2014-2018
- Top 50: Women Florida Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- Top 50: Tampa Bay Super Lawyers, 2018
- Top 100: Florida Super Lawyers, 2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009-2010, 2012-2013
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2013, 2015-2018
- IWIRC-Florida Excellence Award, Trailblazer, 2018
- Tampa Bay Business Journal, Up & Comer, 2009
- The Federal Bar Association, Access to Justice Task Force, 2017 - present
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Executive Council, June 2005-2014
- Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committee, Chair, June 2009-June 2010
- Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, Chair, June 2008-June 2009
- Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association
- President, 2018-2019
- Secretary, 2017-2018
- Treasurer, 2016-2017
- Board of Directors, 2010-present
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), 2007-present
- Program Committee Co-Director, 2018
- At Large Board member, 2014-2017
- Florida Network, Board Member, 2011-2016
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2001-present
- Florida Aquarium - Making Waves Society, Member, 2017 - present
- Communications Chair, 2018
- USF Financing Corporation, Board Member, 2015 - present
- USF Property Corporation, Board Member, 2015 - present
- Credit Abuse and Resistance Education Program (teaches high school students about the benefits and dangers of credit cards), Vice-Chair and Presenter, June 2008-June 2010
- Forty Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Trenam Law Receives High Marks by Prestigious Chambers and Partners For 2018
- Lori Vaughan Discusses Sears CEO’s Proposal to Buy Kenmore Brand in USA Today
- Lori Vaughan Discusses Executive Bonuses during Bankruptcy on Marketplace
- Lori V. Vaughan and Megan W. Murray Author Article in ABI Journal Discussing Future-Advance Clauses
- Thirty Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2017 and Top 5 Law Firm With the Most Honorees
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- "Future-Advance Clauses: Saving Lien Priority and Perfection in Subsequent Loans," ABI Journal, Co-author, April 2018
- "Chapter 3: Enforcement of Secured Claims," Creditors and Debtors’ Practice in Florida - 6th Ed., Author, 2017
- “Chapter 1: Preliminary Analysis of Creditors’ Claims,” Creditors and Debtor’s Practice in Florida, 6th Ed., Author, 2017
- “Chapter 1: Preliminary Analysis of Creditors’ Claims,” Creditors and Debtor’s Practice in Florida, 2014
- “Valuations in Restructuring - Advanced Course: Spansion Case Study,” TMA Course, multiple locations, 2014
- Asset Protection Bundle, American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law CLE materials, featured expert, April 2012
- “Eleventh Circuit: Good Faith Is Required for Mere-Conduit Defense to §550(a),” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, March 2011
- “Business Reorganization After One Year of BAPCPA,” Commercial Lending Review, Co-author, April 2007
- “Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code,” multiple locations between 2001-2003.
- "Lori Vaughan Discusses Executive Bonuses during Bankruptcy," Marketplace on American Public Media, April 10, 2018
- "Advanced Bankruptcy," Guest Lecturer, University of Florida, School of Law, January 2018
- "Judgement Collection in Florida," Speaker, Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association's Annual Seminar, May 2017
- "Practical Guidance for Taking Appeals in Consumer Bankruptcy Cases," Speaker, Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association Consumer Luncheon, March 2017
- “Medley of Current Chapter 11 Issues: From Overcoming Challenges to Finding an Efficient Exit,” American Bankruptcy Institute Southeast Workshop, July 2016
- “Avoidance Action Issues in Chapter 7 Cases,” Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association Consumer Luncheon Series, May 2016
- “Getting Your Bankruptcy Appeal Heard,” panel speaker with District Court and Eleventh Circuit Judges, Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association CLE Luncheon, May 2015
- "Bankruptcy Court Evidence Boot Camp: Basics to Advanced," Speaker, The Business Law Section of The Florida Bar, May 2015.
- Bankruptcy & the Secured Creditor, presented to various lending institutions, 2013-present
- “Attorney Liability Issues in Asset Protection Planning,” American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law teleconference, panelist, March 2012
- “Resolved: Loan-to-Own DIP Lenders Should Not Be Allowed to Credit Bid,” American Bankruptcy Institute, Lecture Materials, April 2007
- “Bankruptcy Considerations for Distressed Businesses and Their Creditors,” presented to FICPA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2009 and September 2009
- “Bankruptcy and the Secured Creditor,” National Business Institute, Tampa, FL
- “Landlord and Tenant Law in Bankruptcy,” National Business Institute, Tampa, FL