Lara Roeske Fernandez is a Shareholder with Trenam and is leader of the firm’s Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights & Insolvency Practice Group. Lara is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy. Her practice area includes business reorganizations (debtor and creditor representation), trustee representation, bankruptcy litigation, commercial foreclosures and workouts, and loan modifications. Lara has served as a Chapter 11 trustee and liquidation trustee as well. She joined the firm in November 2004, after serving as the career judicial law clerk for the Honorable Alexander L. Paskay, Chief Bankruptcy Judge Emeritus, Middle District of Florida, from 2001 through 2004, as well as in 1996, after graduating from law school. From 1997 through 2001, Lara practiced creditors’ rights in the private sector.
- Extensive representations of Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 trustees and examiners in multifaceted bankruptcy cases and currently serves as Chapter 11 trustee, herself.
- Represented Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 trustees in bankruptcy cases that included multiple appeals to both the District Court and 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of lenders, landlords, individual, other financial institutions in bankruptcy, federal court and state court commercial foreclosures, receiverships, and general civil litigation.
- Represents purchasers of assets in bankruptcy setting and other distressed sales outside of bankruptcy, including note purchases.
- Mediator for bankruptcy disputes.
- Defends creditors and other third party debt collectors against alleged violations under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act, and other consumer collection statutes.
- Advises clients on regulatory issues related to consumer protection statutes including FDCPA, TCPA, and FCCPA.
- Represents judgment creditors in collection matters, including domestication of foreign judgments, garnishment, replevin, and proceedings supplementary.
- The American Board of Certification, Board of Directors, 2017
- Divisional Advisory Board of Directors, Synovus Bank, Member
- Local Rules Lawyers Advisory Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida
- Tampa Representative, 2014-present
- Tampa Bay Chapter, Federal Bar Association, Member
- Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association, Member, 1998-present
- Past Chair and President, 2011-2013
- Executive Board, 2009-2013
- Board of Directors, 2007-2013
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member, 2006-present
- Advisory Board, Judge Alexander L. Paskay Seminar, 2013-present
- Speaker at American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, 2012-present
- Florida Network Member
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, 1997-present
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, 1997-2011
- Emory University Alumni Association, Tampa Chapter, 1996-present
- "Ask a Lawyer" Program, Christ the King
- Girl Scouts of West Central Florida
- Troop treasurer and project coordinator, 2008-2015
- Tampa Bay United
- Team Manager U13, U14, U15 girls, 2013-2015
United States District Courts, Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida
United States Court of Appeals for Eleventh Circuit