Adam Brouillet is a Shareholder who practices in data privacy and commercial litigation. He advises clients on matters involving privacy laws, including with respect to privacy policies, information security, data breaches, vendor contracts, insurance policies, and M&A transactions. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional regarding U.S. law (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Adam’s practice also includes litigation, including contract disputes, landlord-tenant and real estate matters, business torts, securities litigation, and debt collection, among others. He represents clients at trial and on appeal in state and federal courts and is AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Representative Matters
- Prepared website privacy policies for numerous businesses.
- Advised retailer following a data breach.
- Advised buyer in the due diligence evaluation of seller’s data privacy practices prior to corporate acquisition.
- Advised online retailer regarding cybersecurity insurance.
- Prepared written information security program to protect donor, beneficiary, and employee information held by nonprofit organization in compliance with law.
Commercial Litigation Representative Matters
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of business on claims of negligence and intentional misconduct.
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of homeowners against a flooring contractor on claims of over-billing and unlawful collection practices.
- Represented factoring companies in recovering amounts owed from debtors or customers on factored accounts.
- Represented home health care service company to recover several hundred thousand dollars’ worth of checks stolen by a sales representative.
- Represented commercial landlords and tenants in eviction actions.
- Represented title insurers in actions to quiet title and remove clouds on title to real estate.
- Represented banks and other lenders in commercial and residential foreclosure actions.
- Represented banks to resolve claims alleging violations of debt collection laws, including the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act and the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Represented nutritional supplement manufacturer in resolving dispute over allegedly deceptive trade practices.
- Represented museum in resolving dispute over a potential employment agreement.
Appellate Representative Matters
- Secured reversal of summary judgment in real estate contract dispute. Head v. Sorensen, 220 So. 3d 569 (Fla. 2d DCA 2017).
- Secured affirmance of the dismissal of a claim for patent infringement. Taylor v. Taylor Made Plastics, Inc., 565 F. App’x 888 (Fed. Cir. 2014).
- Secured affirmance of the denial of a motion for attorneys’ fees. Gross v. Fuss, 77 So. 3d 185 (Fla. 2d DCA 2012).
Honors and Distinctions
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2017 - 2018
- Tampa Magazine's Top Lawyers List, 2020, 2022
- The Florida Bar
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section, Cyberspace Law Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Leadership St. Pete, Class of 2018
- St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce
- Coach, Northeast Little League
- Volunteer tutor, Lawyers for Literacy
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Listed in Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2022
- Data Privacy Shareholder Adam Brouillet Details Ransomware Prevention and Response Strategies for Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Defending Data Breach Lawsuits with a Compliant Cybersecurity Program
- Are Your Customers in California? Key Consumer Rights under California Privacy Law
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers 2020 by Tampa Magazine
- FBI and CDC: Beware of COVID-19 Online Scams
- Florida Lawmakers File Data Privacy Bill Applicable to Website Operators
- Trenam’s Appellate Newsletter: Bad Discovery Order? Here are a Few of Your Options
- Trenam’s Appellate Newsletter: Appeals from the Bankruptcy Court
- Adam Brouillet Offers Tips for Companies When Choosing the Right Cybersecurity Insurance with IT Business Net
- "Tips for Preventing and Responding to Ransomware Attacks,", author, Tampa Bay Business Journal, September 2021
- "Defending Data Breach Lawsuits with a Compliant Cybersecurity Program," co-author, April 2021
- "Are Your Customers in California? Key Consumer Rights under California Privacy Law", Tampa Bay Business & Wealth, December 2020
- “Fundamentals of Data Breach Response,” Trenam Law Live CLE Webinar, November 2020
- Author, "FBI and CDC: Beware of COVID-19 Online Scams," March 2020
- Author, "Florida Lawmakers File Data Privacy Bill Applicable to Website Operators," January 2020
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity,” MSI Global Alliance 2020 Americas Regional Conference, January 2020
- “Fundamentals of Cybersecurity Law for Estate Planning Professionals,” Pinellas County Estate Planning Council, November 2019
- "Mitigating Risk With Cybersecurity Insurance", IT Business Net, June 2019
- “Cybersecurity Insurance for Credit Unions,” webinar, National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions, May 2019
- Panelist, “Byte-Size Program: Cybersecurity Basics for Small Business,” Florida Small Business Development Center at USF, February 2019
- "Understanding “Reasonable Cybersecurity Measures” to Safeguard Data," Financial Poise, September 2018
- "Five ways to protect yourself when using cryptocurrency," Tampa Bay Business & Wealth, September 2018
- "The Legal Implications of Cybersecurity When Collecting Personal Information," Financial Poise, August 2018
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity Before and After a Breach: The Legal, Technical, and Security Implications,” Brazil-Florida Business Council, June 2018
- Panelist, “Byte-Size Program: Cybersecurity Basics for Small Business,” Florida Small Business Development Center at USF, June 2018
- "Cybersecurity for CPAs: A Legal Perspective," Southwest Florida Chapter of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, May 2018
- "Cybersecurity for CPAs: A Legal Perspective," Gulf Coast Chapter of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, June 2017
- "All 50 States Now Have Data Breach Laws," Trenam Law Cybersecurity Update, April 2018
- "Cybersecurity for CPAs: A Legal Perspective," Mid-Florida Chapter of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, October 2017
- “Cybersecurity Concerns for Attorneys and Their Clients: How to Protect Against and Survive Cyber Attacks,” Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, September 2017
- Panelist, Cybersecurity Seminar at the Tampa Club, August 2017
- "Post-Judgment Collection: Stepping Into the Shoes of the Judgment Debtor in Claims Against Third Parties," The Florida Bar Journal, Volume 91, No. 3, March 2017
- "Cybersecurity for CPAs: A Legal Perspective," Suncoast Chapter of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, February 2017
- "Business Cybersecurity: Two Recent Court Decisions Highlight the Need to Take Preemptive Action Against Data Breaches", Trenam Legal Update, February 2017
- Ending Modern-Day Slavery in Florida: Strengthening Florida's Legislation in Combating Human Trafficking,” 37 Stet. L. Rev. 297 (2007)