Jacqueline Prats joined the firm in September 2015 as an associate in the Commercial Litigation and Employment Law Practice Groups. Jacqueline assists businesses with commercial disputes and litigation, as well as regularly advises employers on compliance with federal and state employment law. She also represents employers in government investigations and litigation of employment claims. Prior to joining the firm, Jacqueline was a Federal Judicial Intern at the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, and served as a Summer Associate at Trenam.
- Successfully defeated a summary judgment motion in a multi-count breach-of-contract and deceptive trade practices case on behalf of a business client.
- Successfully moved class-action Fair Labor Standards Act claims against employer from court to arbitration.
- Assisted in blocking opponent’s demand for attorneys’ fees, resulting in six- to seven-figure reduction of client’s potential liability.
- Assisted in winning summary judgment in complicated trade-secrets misappropriation case, leading to resolution of claims out of court.
- Represented numerous employers in drafting and review of employment documents including employee handbooks, workplace policies, and employment agreements.
- Represented businesses in negligence claims, defamation claims, contract disputes, and collections matters.
- Represented employers of varying sizes against charges of gender, sexual orientation, race, age, and disability discrimination filed with federal, state, and local administrative agencies.
- Represented employers of varying sizes against claims of wage-and-hour violations, trade secret misappropriation, harassment, discrimination, and retaliation, in both federal and state court.
- Represented companies and individuals in prosecution and defense of non-compete and other restrictive covenant claims.
Honors and Distinctions
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2019
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, Up & Comers, 2019
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, member
- Florida Bar
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), Student Member
- Bay Area Legal Services (BALS)
- Tampa Connection, Class of 2020
- Kinney Karate, Martial Arts Instructor
- Family Forms Clinic for Bay Area Legal Services
- Stageworks Theatre, Community Engagement Committee
- Jacqueline Prats Provides Insight on the Impact the New NLRB Decision Will Have on Employers in Modern Restaurant Management
- Jacqueline Prats Selected to the Tampa Connection’s Class of 2020
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2019
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Jacqueline Prats Discusses Supreme Court Ruling on Class Action Waivers in FSR Magazine
- DOL’s White Collar Overtime Rule Blocked Nationwide
- A Reminder on the Increase in the Minimum Wage and Best Practices on Taking Tip Credits
- Newly Implemented Changes Adding Pay Data Information to Annual EEO-1 Reports Will Increase Reporting Burden and Potential Liability for Affected Employers
- Arbitration Provisions in Employment Agreements: The Pros and Cons
- Author, "New NLRB Decision Eases Restrictions on Keeping Harassment Investigations Confidential," Modern Restaurant Management, January 2020.
- Author, Are Arbitration Agreements Necessary for Class-Action Waivers to Be Enforceable?, Florida Bar Journal, Vol. 92, No. 9, November 2018.
- Contributing Author, 2018 Midwinter Treatise Supplement: The Fair Labor Standards Act, Forthcoming 2018.
- Author, "The Decision That Could Alter Employment Contracts for Restaurants," FSR Magazine, June 2018.
- "Hot Topics in Whistleblower Law," Speaker, Federal Labor Standards Legislation Subcommittee of the Labor & Employment Law Section of the ABA, February 2018.