When a class action lawsuit is filed against a company, the company is immediately exposed to the potential for significant losses of both time and resources, regardless of the merits of the lawsuit. Our lawyers have significant experience representing clients in aggressively defending against class actions in state and federal courts throughout Florida and other states at both the trial and appellate levels.
Trenam lawyers have represented clients across a myriad of industries including but not limited to the health and beauty, hospitality, automotive, financial services, timeshare, and defense contractor industries asserting claims for product liability, consumer protection, unfair and deceptive trade practices, unpaid wages, discrimination, among many other claims under both state and federal law.
We work closely with our clients throughout every phase of the class action process with the ultimate goal of positioning the case for a favorable negotiated settlement. In those cases where a settlement is either not possible or is not in our clients’ best interests, and the clients elect to go to trial, the team’s substantive knowledge and familiarity with class action procedure equip them to develop and implement effective trial strategies to protect the economic, reputational, and business interests of our clients.
In the absence of a negotiated settlement, an appeal of a court’s ruling on a class certification motion is almost a near certainty. Our class action lawyers work closely with our Appellate team throughout the class action procedures in order to protect the record below and maximize the opportunity to obtain a favorable appellate result for our clients.
- Wilmington Savings v. LMF and BLG, successfully defended large class action in Tampa federal court.
- Successfully defended class action claims relating to home and condominium owners association debts and collections. Plaintiff moved for class certification and was denied. See Wilmington Sav. Fund Soc’y, FSB v. Bus. Law Group, P.A., 319 F.R.D. 386 (M.D. Fla. 2017). The case was favorably resolved on an individual basis shortly thereafter.
- Secured dismissal of class action claims, including Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (“FDUPTA”) claims, brought against a restaurant chain relating to the number of wings provided per customer order.
- Obtained dismissal of class action against check cashing business involving claims brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Represented individual member of nationwide network in class-based claim against network owner, resulting in favorable settlement.
- In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, local counsel for certain cases filed in Florida and removed to MDL in New Orleans.
- In Re: Trasylol Products Liability Litigation, local counsel for certain cases removed to MDL in West Palm Beach.
- Festiva Orlando Resort HOA – v. Reeves negotiated large class action settlement in Orlando federal court brought on behalf of several thousand time share owners.
- Defended publicly traded company in defense of federal court class action claims based on fraud and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Represented board of directors of large nonprofit hospital in related and multiple class and other cases in state and federal courts in defense of ERISA, fiduciary duty, contract and tort claims.
- Defended homeowners association in class action litigation alleging fraud in connection with timeshare owners’ ownership interests, and successfully negotiated settlement between class representatives and multiple defendants.
- Represented former owner of multi-location restaurant chain in defense of class-action.
- Defended an investment company in class action data breach case.
- Consultation with manufacturer of medical products regarding potential MDL litigation based on publication of study and management of insurance issues for potential claims.
- Kamra v. LMF and BLG, defended large class action in Tampa federal and state court.