John Goldsmith joined the firm in May 1986 and has been a Shareholder since 1991. He practices complex litigation including products liability, class actions, health care, and Multi District Litigation (MDL). He represents a wide variety of participants in the health care industry, including insurers, physicians, medical product and drug manufacturers, bond holders, and medical practices in a wide range of litigation, administrative proceedings and bankruptcy. He has also been involved in defending class actions and product liability defendants in MDL litigation on behalf of product manufacturers, insurers and agents, health care providers, and providers of financial services. John has had considerable success in managing MDL defense litigation and opposing class certification, including arguing for the application of the federal Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA) and various immunities available to defendants in certain industries.
- In Re: Recomm, represented nationwide manufacturer in MDL in Tampa in hundreds of lawsuits and by law enforcement agencies, in over 40 states. Negotiated, and obtained approval of, reorganization plan which resolved over 21,000 product claims (1995-1998)
- Dillon v. Graf, et al., lead defense counsel in MDL pending in Nevada against over 600 insurance agencies for selling over a billion dollars of insurance written on an insurance company with fraudulent financials, resulting in over $90 million in unpaid medical claims. (2002-2006)
- Andro Class Action Litigation, lead counsel litigating a series of statewide and nationwide class actions in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York based on the asserted illegal sale of “andro” products. (2002-2011)
- In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, local counsel for certain cases filed in Florida and removed to MDL in New Orleans.
- In Re: Trasylol Products Liability Litigation, local counsel for certain cases removed to MDL in West Palm Beach.
- Consultation with manufacturer of medical products regarding potential MDL litigation based on publication of study and management of insurance issues for potential claims (2016-17).
- Wilmington Savings v. LMF and BLG, successfully defended large class action in Tampa federal court (2015-17)
- Kamra v. LMF and BLG, defended large class action in Tampa federal and state court (2016-17).
- Festiva Orlando Resort HOA - v. Reeves. negotiated large class action settlement in Orlando federal court brought on behalf of several thousand time share owners (2013-16)
- Tried more than 35 cases to a jury verdict in state and federal court in product liability, personal injury, commercial litigation, and civil rights
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2011-2018
- Florida Trend Legal Elite 2010-2012
- Church Attorney, Episcopal Diocese, 2009-present
- Religious Community Service Board of Directors, 2008-present
- LifePath Hospice, Board of Directors, 1994-2000
- Florida Board of Regents, Member, 1979-1980
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Trenam Cybersecurity Update: All 50 States Now Have Data Breach Laws
- John Goldsmith Discusses Retailer Liability for Chip Credit Card Fraud in Retail Merchandiser
- John Goldsmith Discusses Credit Card Chip Theft on Tampa’s WFLA Channel 8 News
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- Trenam Law Launches Cybersecurity Practice in Response to Rising Cyber Threat for Middle Market Businesses
- Forty Two Trenam Lawyers Named to the 2016 Florida Super Lawyers and 2016 Florida Rising Stars Lists
- Forty-Five Trenam Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars
- Twenty Four Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named to the 2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition
- Fifty Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars
John has written extensively, and presented seminars, on complex litigation, MDLs, class actions, and business damages.