Don Weinbren joined the firm in 1981, immediately following his graduation from the University of Texas School of Law. He became a Shareholder in 1986 and has worked his entire career with the firm. His practice involves health care, corporate and business law, taxation, estate planning and insurance planning.
Don's practice also includes managed care contracts, medical reimbursements, provider contracts, state and federal regulation of health care industries, including licensure and audit defense, business formation and entity Selection, buy-sell, employment, management and consulting agreements, business transactions and planning, including purchases, sales, mergers and acquisitions, corporate, partnership and LLC Taxation, general corporate representation, private placements, asset protection planning, estate planning, wills and trusts, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Represented numerous professional practices, including physicians, dentists, lawyers and accountants, in the formation, operation and wind-down of their businesses.
- Represented numerous health care businesses (e.g., pharmacies, home health agencies, home medical equipment providers) in licensure application and renewals and in operational and financial audits by state agencies. Each representation resulted in successfully obtaining a license or license renewal, and each audit defense resulted in a successful negotiation of a fair settlement.
- Represented a group of physicians in the formation of a health maintenance organization, including structuring the entity, registering the stock of the entity for the securities offering, obtaining a Florida HMO license, developing subscriber and provider agreements and operating procedures, assisting as operational questions arose, and ultimately liquidating the entity through the applicable state agency.
- Represented numerous clients in the purchase or sale of the assets or ownership interests of a business (both health care and other businesses) by an unrelated third party, including obtaining loan financing for such purchases.
- Represented acquired party in sale of multi-location (19 locations) comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facility and related physical therapy practices (and restructuring of the business in connection with accomplishing the sale).
- Represented two related parties in an 8 figure asset sale to a strategic buyer of a multi-location, large-scale new construction/renovation door and hardware supply and installation business.
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Tampa Magazine's Top Lawyers List, 2019-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2003-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2009-2014
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Health Law Section
- The Group Inc., Director; Vice President of 2017 & 2020 Annual Meetings
- Various national and local professional networking organizations
- United Way of Tampa Bay
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2001-2004
- Volunteer Services Division Leadership Committee, Chair, 2001-2004
- TampaJCC/Jewish Federation
- Board of Directors, 1986-1990
- Treasurer, 1989-1990
- Kiwanis Club of Tampa (downtown club), since 1982
- Board of Directors, 1989-1996
- President, 1994-1995
- Doyle E. Carlton (“Kiwanian of the Year”) Memorial Award, 1998
- Tampa Kiwanis Foundation
- Board of Directors, 1992-2001
- President, 2000-2001
- The Tampa Connection, 1991 Graduate
- Board of Directors, 1991-1997
- Chair, 1996-1997
- Leadership Tampa, Class of 1996
- Leadership Tampa Bay, Class of 2001
- Don Weinbren Discusses PPP Loan Forgiveness and Audits in Tampa Bay Times
- Don Weinbren Discusses Impact of PPP Loans in M&A Deals for the Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- Tampa Bay Business Journal Quotes Don Weinbren on SBA Loan Funding Bill
- Don Weinbren Discusses Paycheck Protection Loans in Tampa Bay Times
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers 2020 by Tampa Magazine
- Don Weinbren Discusses Recent Updates in the Enforceability of Florida Restrictive Covenants in Orlando Medical News
- Forty-Six Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized As Top Lawyers 2019 By Tampa Magazine
- Forty Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- “Don Weinbren Discusses PPP Loan Forgiveness and Audits in Tampa Bay Times”, Tampa Bay Times, December 2020.
- "Don Weinbren Discusses Impact of PPP Loans in M&A Deals for the Tampa Bay Business Journal," Interview for Tampa Bay Business Journal, October 2020.
- "$310 billion more in Paycheck Protection loans still unlikely to meet demand," Interview for Tampa Bay Times, April 2020.
- "Here's what the SBA is doing to get ready for PPP Round 2 and when you can start applying," Interview for Tampa Bay Business Journal, April 2020.
- "What's New in the Use of Restrictive Covenants by Florida Medical Practices and Healthcare Businesses?," Orlando Medical News, August 2019.
- "Hot Topics in Health Law," Matthews Benefit Group 16th Annual Tax & Business Update, St. Petersburg, FL, June 2016.
- Raising Capital: The Proper Process by Romero, R., Quoted Expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisory, February 2016.
- “Tax Aspects of Choosing a Healthcare Entity,” The Florida Bar Advanced Healthcare Review and Certification Course 2011
- “Tax Issues in Healthcare,” The Florida Bar Advanced Healthcare Review and Certification Course 2010
- “Medical Practice Divorces - Practical and Technical Considerations When a Physician Leaves a Practice,” The Florida Bar Program Representing The Physician, 2004 and 2009
- “Keeping What You Earn,” presentation on Asset Preservation Planning, University of South Florida Residents Programs, Tampa, FL, 2007 and 2008
- “Code Section 409A: Its Impact on Professional Employment Agreements and Buy-In Options and Buy-Out Rights,” booklet co-author with Richard O. Jacobs.