Paul Rush is an Associate in the Real Estate and Lending Transactions Practice Group. His practice focuses primarily on real property transactions and investments, banking, lending and finance (including Government Guaranteed Lending), acquisition, development, leasing, and the sale of commercial properties. Paul routinely assists corporate banks and associations in structuring and negotiating complex financial transactions.
Paul is an active supporter for Florida’s small businesses and utilizes his business background and experience to frequently advise lenders, businesses, and business owners in matters related to commercial real estate with an emphasis on transactional and financing matters. Paul is a native Floridian who enjoys spending time with his family, college sports, golfing, fishing, and just enjoying the great outdoors.
Real Estate and Lending Transactions
- Represented national and local lenders in all areas of commercial lending transactions, including:
- Commercial, SBA Lending Transactions (504, 7(a), USDA, Export, Express Line of Credits), Asset-Based, and Unsecured Lending.
- Represented a regional developer in the acquisition of real property in several counties throughout southwest Florida.
- Represented a regional developer in acquiring a $9 million commercial site in Collier County, Florida.
- Represented a local lender in connection with a $27 million commercial loan for the purchase of a large office complex in Hillsborough County, Florida.
- Represented various landlords and tenants in the negotiation of office leases, single tenant triple net leases, and shopping center leases.
Government Guaranteed Lending (SBA, USDA, Certified Development Companies)
- Represented a borrower in a complex $10 million debt restructure and USDA guaranteed loan for a local marine industry business in Pinellas County, Florida.
- Represented multiple Agricultural Credit Associations and Farm Credit Banks on various multi-million dollar agribusiness financings across Florida and Southeastern United States.
- Represented local and national lenders in multiple streamlined and complex SBA 7(a) loan transactions involving collateral located in several states, including perfection of security interests in accordance with SBA requirements.
- Represented a local Certified Development Company in multiple SBA 504 closings across the State of Florida.
- Represented several local and national lenders as bank counsel for SBA 504 transaction.
- Represented several medical tenants (physician groups, dental practices, and veterinary groups) in negotiation of medical office leases, including lease renewals, expansions, relocations, startup offices, and purchases.
- Represented a national lender in transactions specific to construction and compliance for Assisted Living Facility locations.
- Represented a local developer in connection with the acquisition, renovation, and negotiation of contracts for a historic hotel property.
- Represented a local restaurant group and provided legal guidance for multiple restaurant concepts, as well as the negotiation of restaurant leases at each location across Southwest Florida.
Honors and Distinctions
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2018
- SBA 504 Designated Attorney Certification, March 2017
- Most-Outstanding Editor Fall 2013-Stetson Law Review
- Elizabeth M. Leeman Award for Best Student Publication- Fall 2013-Stetson Law Review
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Fraternity, Executive Board member
- Highest Grade Award- Negotiation and Mediation Skills
- Highest Grade Award- Trial Advocacy
- Highest Grade Award- Legal Research and Writing II
- Teacher’s Assistant- Legal Research and Writing I & II (2012-2013)
- Stetson Law PT Student Class Co-President / Treasurer
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Society of Real Estate Professionals
- Real Estate Investment Council
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- National Association of Government Guaranteed Lenders
- Florida Association of Government Guaranteed Lenders
- Bay Area Legal Services, volunteer
- The Florida Bar, Young Lawyers Division
- Habitat for Humanity, volunteer
- The Smile Foundation, member and volunteer
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Real Estate Update: 2018 Florida Legislature Real Estate Bills
- Paul Rush and Claudette Fornuto discuss Florida’s updated estoppel certificates law in Common Ground Magazine
- Paul Rush Authors Article on Florida Foreclosure Appellate Ruling for Law360
- “Ask the Experts – Florida’s Updated Estoppel Certificates Law,” Co-Author, Common Ground, September/October 2017
- "A Do-Over: Takeaways From Florida Court's Ober Revisit," Law 360, April 2017.
- Stetson Law Review Clearing up the Confusion: Aiding Court Decisions Regarding Trademark Infringement and the Internet (2013).