Trenam Law’s Real Estate and Lending Transactions Group is designed to meet the legal needs of two of Florida’s most important economic engines that are frequently linked together, real estate and finance. This group brings together attorneys with extensive experience in representing, on the one hand, institutions and individuals involved in all aspects of the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of real property and, on the other, lenders and borrowers involved in real estate financing transactions and non-real estate, commercial financing transactions. Attorneys in the group regularly negotiate, document and close transactions related to (i) complex secured and unsecured financing transactions, including participated or syndicated credit facilities, on behalf of institutional lenders or development or investor borrowers, (ii) large-scale commercial, industrial, resort hotel, mixed use and public projects on behalf of developers and investors, (iii) residential and commercial condominiums and condominium conversions, (iv) regional housing developments, (v) mobile and modular home projects and (vi) major leasing transactions, from single tenant “big box” facilities to multiple tenant retail centers.
We provide services to our clients that are second-to-none in terms of timeliness, efficiency and quality of work product. We are pleased to count among our clients many sophisticated developers and investors, major life insurance companies and banks with national, regional or local presence who have found that we achieve those goals.
Practice areas include:
- Commercial, Industrial, Resort and Residential Development
- Real Property Transactions and Investments
- Condominiums and Condominium Conversions
- Commercial Leasing
- Zoning, Land Use and Growth Management
- Permitting/Alcoholic Beverage Licensing
- Real Estate Lending-Construction, Interim and Permanent
- Asset-Based and Unsecured Lending
- SBA Lending
- Public Finance including Housing and Industrial Development Bonds
- Interest Rate Swaps and Hedges
- Letters of Credit
- Loan Restructurings and Mortgage Foreclosures
- Represented equity investor in $54 million acquisition of two apartment complexes in South Florida Team leader in representation of regional grocery store chain in purchasing portfolio of more than 40 new stores.
- Acted as Florida counsel for a Dallas based real estate investment fund in its purchase of a $171 million luxury bayfront hotel and related properties in Sarasota, Florida.
- Represented a Tampa-based developer in site acquisition, financing, development and construction, as well as all project leasing, of a major retail shopping center at Dale Mabry Highway and I-275, including pad site and in-line store lease negotiations and documentation.
- Represented a property owner in the sale of a $3 million office building in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Represented a hotel developer in the acquisition of real properties in Alachua and Brevard Counties, totaling over $1.5 million dollars, including negotiation of necessary easements to permit development.
- Represent a national developer with 25 real property acquisitions across the country have closed since the beginning of 2017, to be developed as quick service restaurants, fast casual food dining concepts, and urgent care facilities.
- Provided counsel to a development company in the acquisition of a large scale residential planned unit development and the subsequent creation of a reservation program and governing documents.
- Represented St. Petersburg not-for-profit hospital with regard to all real estate aspects of the sale of the hospital’s interests in the campus, medical office buildings, satellite clinics, heliports, and other off-campus sites, and negotiated the amendment and assignment of the underlying hospital campus ground lease and other relevant matters with the City of St. Petersburg.
- Represented a real estate group in the acquisition of an international hotel franchise location in Tampa.
- Represented a manufacturer in the acquisition of a high tech laboratory and manufacturing facility.
- Represented Talquin Development and Echelon Development in the development, sale, purchase, and leasing of offices, warehouses, technology centers, multi-family, and planned multi-use developments, including Carillon Park.
- Represented one of the largest Fortune 500 banks in the U.S. in a $36 million syndicated loan for construction of luxury condominium development in Naples, Florida.
- Represented lender in $65 million loan for construction of mixed use multi-family and retail development in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- Represented a commercial bank headquartered in Chicago in a $35 million loan for construction of multi-family development in Sarasota County, Florida.
- Represented a national lender in connection with an $84 million syndicated condominium construction loan for a new development in Lee County, Florida.
- Represented a lender in providing financing to two separate shopping center owners in Broward County, Florida for loans in excess of $50 million.
- Represented a lender in providing $10.5 million financing for a medical center in Duval County, Florida.
- Represented lenders in the financing of continuing care communities that were either formed under Chapter 651, Florida Statutes (as licensed by the Department of Insurance, State of Florida) or under Chapter 718, The Florida Condominium Act. Projects involved not only life care elements, but assisted living and skilled nursing facilities.
- Represented a regional developer in acquiring a $9 million commercial site in Collier County, Florida.
- Represented a local lender in connection with a $27 million commercial loan for the purchase of a large office complex in Hillsborough County, Florida.
- Represented a tenant in negotiation of a ground lease with a local governmental authority for a term of 40 years, with a total rental value of approximately $14 million during the entire term.
- Represented the owner and a charitable foundation in connection with the conversion of a building listed in the National Register of Historic Places to a condominium to create salable condominium office units and a unit for the historical facade which could be donated to the charitable foundation that operates theater in the building.
- Represented landlord in chapter 11 case of national retail chain of shoe stores and national electronics store, resulting in assumption of leases, rejection of others, and negotiated cure payments.
- Represented anchor tenant of a large shopping center debtor in Chapter 11, reaching resolution on assumption and assignment of lease in connection with $47 million sale, as well as plan confirmation.