Gregory-Scott R. Haney is a Shareholder on the firm’s Real Estate and Lending Transactions Group. He is a Board Certified Specialist in real estate law. Clients in multiple industries turn to Gregory to handle their real estate acquisition, disposition and leasing transactions, as well as the real estate portfolio aspects of their M&A transactions. Gregory also has experience in the purchase and sale of liquor licenses. He strives to provide “real time” counsel to clients, understanding that responsiveness is of the utmost importance to companies in today’s fast-paced business environment.
With over 15 years of commercial real estate experience, Gregory has guided clients through the twists and turns of transactions, including negotiation, financing, due diligence, title analysis, and all other aspects of asset acquisition, disposition and leasing in Florida and around the country, across all sectors, such as shopping centers, office buildings, medical office and healthcare facilities, warehouse and industrial facilities, and multi-family properties.
Having negotiated hundreds of commercial leases for landlords and tenants, Gregory also has substantial experience in identifying and negotiating key economic and legal provisions in lease agreements that matter to the client’s bottom line and define critical rights and obligations throughout the lease relationship.
Gregory brings the benefit of a significant prior litigation background to his transactional practice, having litigated for the first 7 years of his legal career in state and federal courts in the areas of construction, leasing, commercial, and bankruptcy litigation. That invaluable experience has allowed him a broader understanding of how to negotiate and structure real estate transactions for clients in a manner that accounts for potential issues and risks.
Gregory is an approved attorney agent for Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation, First American Title Insurance Company, and Old Republic National Title Insurance Company.
Real Estate Transactions
- Represented St. Petersburg not-for-profit hospital with regard to all real estate aspects of the sale of the hospital’s interests in the campus, medical office buildings, satellite clinics, heliports, and other off-campus sites, and negotiated the amendment and assignment of the underlying hospital campus ground lease and other relevant matters with the City of St. Petersburg.
- Represented a real estate group in the acquisition of an international hotel franchise location in Tampa.
- Represented a manufacturer in the acquisition of a high tech laboratory and manufacturing facility.
- Represented sellers and purchasers with regard to the real estate portfolio facets of asset and stock purchase agreements, including publishing, communication tower, and manufacturing clients.
- Assisted with the acquisition, sale and development of multi-state healthcare facility portfolios and negotiated related operator leasing agreements.
- Assisted with the acquisition and leasing of branch and office locations for national, regional and local financial institutions.
Real Estate Leasing
- Negotiated and crafted leases for restaurant and retail franchisees, including site plan and build out arrangements with landlords and developers, and compliance with franchisor requirements.
- Negotiated and crafted leases for healthcare facilities and medical offices in healthcare campus and retail developments.
- Negotiated and crafted leases for warehouse and industrial facilities.
- Represented a large e-commerce company in selling and leasing back industrial/warehouse property.
- Represented a South Tampa investor in commercial property assemblage which included leasebacks to sellers during assemblage process.
- Represented an investor acquisition of various restaurant/retail property for leaseback to national restaurant operator.
- Represented a healthcare management company in acquiring independent medical practices and leasing back medical office and outpatient facilities as part of acquisition, as well as physicians and practice groups on the other side of such transactions.
Honors and Distinctions
- Board Certified Real Estate Lawyer by the Florida Bar
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law), 2020
- Florida Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2009
- Top Lawyer by Tampa Bay Magazine
- The Florida Bar
- Commercial Real Estate Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Landlord and Tenant Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Real Estate Investment Council (REIC)
- Florida Museum of Photographic Arts, Board of Directors (2005-2010); Executive Committee (2007-2010)
- Tampa Theatre, Membership Committee; Chair Annual Members' Reception (2005-2006)
- Forty-Six Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Trenam Law Bolsters Real Estate & Land Use Practices with Five Attorneys and Two Paralegals
- Additions to Real Estate & Lending Transactions Group Featured in Business Observer
- Tampa Bay Times Features Trenam Law and Expanded Real Estate Group
- Trenam Law’s Five Newest Real Estate Attorneys Featured in Tampa Bay Business Journal
- "The Commercial Lease Form Book, Expert Tools for Drafting and Negotiation," Second Edition (Medical Office Building Lease), ABA Publishing