Rick Fueyo is a senior member of the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. His practice focuses on probate, trust and guardianship litigation and includes commercial litigation and antitrust counseling. Prior to law school, Rick worked for seven years in the metals industry and the temporary services industry, and as a part-time sportswriter.
Probate and Guardianship Litigation
- Represented both claimants and fiduciaries in will/trust contests involving estates/trusts of various sizes, including contests over assets in excess of $80 million, obtaining favorable settlements and/or final judgments.
- Represented heir in breach of fiduciary duty action against trustee, resulting in the removal of trustee and recovery in favor of heir.
- Represent charitable institutions to protect their rights as named beneficiaries to estates and trusts, obtaining favorable summary judgments.
- Defend and advise court-appointed trustees in contested trust administration.
- Generally advise financial institutions on issues arising from probate, trusts, and guardianship issues with respect to accounts.
- Represent families of decedents in various matters involving the application of the slayer statute.
- Represented commercial tenant in action by a prior landlord seeking $75 million in damages, resulting in a defense verdict before the District Court on all matters tried.
- Represented financial institutions in disputed ownership of special asset properties, resulting in favorable terms of sale.
- Represented property owners in numerous quiet title and reformation actions of errant deeds, resulting in the favorable final judgment, including a successful appeal.
- Represented successful bidder for governmental contracts against usurpation claims, obtaining the favorable outcome.
Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Advised building product trade association regarding antitrust compliance.
- Represented local government franchisee in an antitrust action, resulting in the favorable decision before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Represented former employee against claims and misappropriation of trade secrets, defeating the claim for injunctive relief.
Honors and Distinctions
- Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, 2023-2024
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
- Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Award, April 2017
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2013
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2015-2023
- The Florida Bar
- Federal Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Tampa Hispanic Bar Association, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- Subcommittee on Exemptions and Immunities
- Vice-Chair, 2011-2013
- Contributing Editor, 1997-2013
- Tampa City Council
- Citizens Advisory Budget and Finance Committee, 2016
- Tampa Hispanic Bar Association
- Board Member, 2014-present
- Tampa Preparatory School Dad’s Club
- Co-Chair, 2010-2014
- City of Tampa Code Enforcement Special Magistrate, 2009-present
- Greater Tampa Catholic Lawyers Guild, 1998-present
- Fifty-One Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2024
- Forty-Five Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2023
- Forty-One Attorneys Listed in Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2023
- Fifty-two Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023 Four Attorneys Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
- Forty-One Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2021
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- Forty-Seven Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2020
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Forty-Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- Forty-Five Trenam Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars
- Fifteen Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite and Up and Comers
- “The Complaint and Other Pleadings for Claims for Relief,” Vol.2, Chapter 9, Lawyers Cooperative Federal Practice Guide
- “2010 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments,” American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, State Action Immunity update
- “Antitrust Law Developments” (Seventh), American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, State Action Doctrine
- “Response to Congressional Antitrust Modernization Commission,” Contributor, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Subcommittee on Exemptions and Immunities
- American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Chapter 5 (Co-Author) The Noerr-Pennington Doctrine
- Literally Draining the Swamp. Some Issues in Florida Real Propery, Speaker, Cooley Law School, November 2020