Thomas "Tom" Cockriel is an associate in the firm’s Business Transactions practice group. Tom provides strategic and commercial advice to companies on all aspects of technology transactions, including intellectual property portfolios, strategic sourcing, cloud computing, IT infrastructure, data protection, and cybersecurity. His experience in numerous industries, including emerging technology, financial services, software, digital platforms, and medical devices, provides clients a broad based perspective on critical issues. Tom advises companies in various industries and sectors, to ensure delivery of the best possible products and services while adapting to ever-changing markets, technologies, and business objectives.
Tom has extensive experience drafting and negotiating corporate and business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, sales transactions, and capital raising transactions, including those involving intellectual property licensing, IT services, outsourcing and procurement, joint ventures, and other arrangements for the development, supply, distribution and sale of goods and services. Tom's practice also involves the protection, defense, licensing and exploitation of rights in patents, trademarks, copyrights, software and data.
Prior to joining Trenam, Tom was an associate in the New York office of a large global law firm. Tom also served as a judicial intern for Magistrate Judge Monte C. Richardson in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Represented a national technology services firm specializing in business software applications and cloud solutions with the sale of the company.
- Represented a Tampa-based leading provider of online education and training with the acquisition of a company specializing in technology and software related to educator evaluations and professional development.
- Provided corporate, business, and legal advice to national bank, including review of contracts and transactions with a mobile app development company and a cloud based communications platform service company.
- Represented a regional equipment sales and rental company with the sale of the company.
- Represented owner of a mixed-use commercial building (and its subsidiaries) in connection with establishing credit facilities with a national bank, involving a multi-million dollar line of credit, a multi-million dollar purchasing card line, and related facilities.
- Represented a growth equity investment company in connection with a significant investment in a digital music distributor company.
- Represented a venture capital firm specializing in growth capital, early stage, seed, and series funding with its investment in an accredited drug and alcohol addiction treatment facility.
- Represented a Tampa-based leading provider of online education and training in the acquisition of a higher education content developer.
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Tampa Bay WaVE, Mentor 2017 to present
- Tampa Connection, Class of 2018
- Team Member of the Year Award
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Recruitment Advisor, 2017-2018
- "Protect Your IP: Three Important Agreements for Founders and Executives," Tampa Bay Wave, August 2019.