Brigid Merenda joined the firm in August 2000 as an associate and became a Shareholder in 2007. An experienced trial lawyer, Brigid has handled cases for clients in diverse areas including complex litigation, heath care and medical staff privileges litigation, shareholder disputes, and employment law, including non-compete, trade secrets, and Title VII matters. She has also represented limited liability companies (LLCs) and corporations in general business litigation matters, assisted clients in investigations and civil enforcement proceedings brought by the SEC and the FTC, and has counseled clients in arbitration proceedings generally and those conducted before the American Arbitration Association and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
- Represented Grammy Award winning music group and the owner of its intellectual property in a successful trademark ownership (and infringement) trial regarding use and ownership of the band’s name, blocking the improper use of the group’s name by a former, founding member of the group, and obtained a worldwide preliminary and permanent injunction. This matter has been appealed to and affirmed twice by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented business owners in resolving Federal Trade Commission investigation related to consumer advertising claims resulting in settlement to avoid seven figure fines.
- Represented business owner in the prosecution of securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and other claims related to the purchase of interest in an LLC.
- Represented shareholder in derivative suit for dissolution, breach of fiduciary duties and fraud regarding sale of surgical center and operation of medical entity.
- Represented university in federal court defending against claims of discrimination and prevailed in multi-week jury trial on claims of discrimination as well as counterclaims on university’s behalf.
- Prevailed before the Second District Court of Appeal upholding jury verdict in favor of university after multi-week jury trial involving claims of discrimination.
- Prevailed before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upholding jury verdict in favor of university after multi-week jury trial involving claims of discrimination by the university.
- Obtained temporary injunction against former employees and competitor for breach of noncompetition agreement and tortious interference on behalf of software manufacturer.
- Prevailed before the Fourth District Court of Appeal in complete reversal of multi-million dollar jury verdict leading to favorable settlement for business owner.
- Represented and counseled physicians involved in administrative peer review proceedings related to the maintenance and renewal of the physicians staff privileges.
- Represented international pool equipment manufacturer and distributor in arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association in prosecuting non-competition agreements and claims of tortious interference against competitor.
- Represented former owners of companies in prosecuting claims against buyers for breach of earnout provisions.
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2016-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2009-2015
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2016-2019
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, Up & Comer, 2007, 2008, 2013
- Top 30 Under 30 Professionals, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2004
- Leadership Tampa Bay
- Tampa Connection
- University of South Florida women’s varsity basketball team, 1993-1997
- Team captain, 1997
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Division
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Business Law Section Executive Committee
- Leadership Tampa Bay Class of 2007
- USF Varsity Club Board of Directors
- President, July 2017 - Present
- Secretary, 2010 - 2016
- New Tampa YMCA
- New Tampa Family YMCA Volunteer of the Year, 2018
- Salesian Youth Center Board of Directors
- USF Property Corporation
- USF Financing Corporation, Past Chair
- Radio Color Analyst for USF Women’s Basketball Home Games, 2013 - Present
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2019
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Trenam Cybersecurity Update: All 50 States Now Have Data Breach Laws
- Brigid Merenda Named the New Tampa Family YMCA Volunteer of the Year
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2017 and Top 5 Law Firm With the Most Honorees
- Four Trenam Attorneys Receive AV Preeminent Rating By Martindale-Hubbell
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- Forty Two Trenam Lawyers Named to the 2016 Florida Super Lawyers and 2016 Florida Rising Stars Lists
- Panelist, Tampa Bay Sports Commission Beyond Barriers - Because of Title IX Series, February 2019
- Contributing Author, Case Law Update, Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2007