Mike Reeves is a shareholder and co-leader of the firm’s Business Transactions Practice Group. He currently serves as Chair of the firm’s Executive Board. Mike’s practice is focused on a broad range of transaction-based services, including mergers and acquisitions, capital raising transactions and other general business legal matters.
Mike represents entrepreneurs, strategic entities, private equity groups and venture capital investors on buy-side and sell-side transactions. Mike routinely advises clients with respect to securities law issues relating to private placements of debt and equity. Mike also represents entrepreneurs, management and various businesses with respect to matters relating to entity formation, tax structure, employment and equity arrangements, employee benefits and service agreements.
Prior to his legal career, Mike was an analyst with a financial firm in Louisville, Kentucky.
- Represented one of the largest home furniture retailers in the United States with more than 300 stores in eight states in a $580 million sale of the company, by way of a 100% equity sale, to Franchise Group.
- Represented a national lessor and seller of large commercial vehicles in a substantial expansion of its operating revolving credit facilities through a syndicated financing.
- Represented an IT security company in the sale of its business to a financial buyer.
- Represented a private equity buyer in the acquisition of a truck manufacturer.
- Represented an IT staffing company in the sale of its business to a public company.
- Represented a strategic buyer in the acquisition of a waste equipment company.
- Represented a venture capital investor with respect to its investment in a technology based company.
- Represented a multi-office medical care practice in the sale of its businesses to a regional health care provider.
- Represented a strategic buyer with respect to the acquisition of an insurance company.
- Represented an entrepreneur with respect to the formation, tax structure and eventual sale to a strategic buyer of a compressed natural gas fuel station design and construction company.
- Represented a real estate development company with respect to a tax-free reorganization, which included a split-up of separate business divisions.
- Represented various entrepreneurs with respect to the formation and structure of their businesses, including, but not limited to, tax structure, preparation of governing documents, etc.
- Represented various C level officers in connection with the preparation and negotiation of their employment agreements and equity arrangements.
- Represented a client with respect to the negotiation and execution of a manufacturing agreement.
- Represented numerous clients with respect to Regulation D private offerings across various industries, including, but not limited to, restaurant/tavern, hotel, real estate, tech and franchise.
- Represented a regional center, a national restaurant/tavern concept and a banking institution with respect to separate EB-5 based private offerings.
- Acted as outside general corporate counsel to various businesses.
Honors and Distinctions
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A and Private Securities, 2022
- Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, 2021-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, Business Organizations – including LLCs and Partnerships; Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Leveraged Buyouts & Private Equity Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law, 2021-2023
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2018-2022
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2009-2014
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2016-2019, 2022
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Tax Sections
- Association for Corporate Growth Tampa Bay
- Children’s Advocacy Center Foundation, Inc. (a non-profit organization that supports the Hillsborough County Children’s Justice Center)
- Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Early Learning Coalition of Hillsborough County (an organization that specializes in the funding and delivery of quality early childhood care and education to the families of Hillsborough County
- Former Member of the Board of Directors
- YMCA youth basketball coach
- Tampa Connection Alumni
- Forty-One Attorneys Listed in Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2023
- Mike Reeves Featured in Law.com Leadership
- Michael J. Reeves Elected to Chair of Executive Board
- Fifty-two Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023 Four Attorneys Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Nineteen Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized in Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2022
- Trenam Law Receives High Marks by Prestigious Chambers and Partners for 2022
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Listed in Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2022
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
- Forty One Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2021
- Trenam Law Receives High Marks by Prestigious Chambers and Partners for 2021
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021 by Tampa Magazine
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- Forty Seven Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2020
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2019
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2017 and Top 5 Law Firm With the Most Honorees
- Nineteen Trenam Law Attorneys Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite: Firm is Ranked #1 With Most Women Named to Legal Elite
- Fifty Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars