Charles (“Charlie”) Ketchey joined the firm in December 2007 as a Shareholder in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group. His practice includes business and corporate litigation. Prior to joining the firm, he was a senior litigation attorney and partner in the Tampa office of Akerman Senterfitt, and in the local Tampa firm of Ketchey Horan.
- Pro bono representation of foster mother accused in prosecution for criminal/homicide and civil/termination of parental rights
- Plaintiff representation before jury on fraud, securities, fiduciary duty issues.
- Pro bono plaintiff representation in jury case for elder abuse and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Defended national radio network against copyright infringement claim.
- Represented rock band in prosecution of copyright claim.
- Represented international biotech designer/manufacturer and related corporate principals in defense and prosecution of intellectual property, software, copyright, contract and shareholder claims in multiple state, federal and international courts.
- Defended international software project management firm against breach of contract claims.
- Represented board of directors of large nonprofit hospital in related and multiple class and other cases in state and federal courts in defense of ERISA, fiduciary duty, contract and tort claims.
- Represented NYSE corporation in arbitration of lease terms of chemical pipeline.
- Represented resort company in defense of claim for commissions before jury.
- Prosecuted misrepresentation claim in jury case for general contractor.
- Represented NYSE corporation in development of defensive business and bankruptcy strategy in the Enron case. Prosecuted related property claims in adversary proceeding. Case involved extreme financial exposure.
- Defended national insurer in jury trial of multi-million bad faith claim.
- Represented board of directors of public corporation in defense of class action securities claim.
- Represented auto manufacturer in prosecution of claim for injunctive relief and turnover of dies and tools for manufacture of parts, avoiding shutdown of overseas manufacturing plants.
- Represented minority shareholders and partners in multiple real estate partnerships in defense and prosecution of claims for control, injunctions and other relief.
- Represented board of directors, officers and shareholders of multiple insurance related entities in defense of claims by state agency in state and bankruptcy courts. Case involved extreme financial exposure.
- Represented national bank serving as trustee in prosecution of action for injunction and shareholder ownership, and in defense of action by IRS.
- Represented retired sheet rock installer for union pension benefits, pro bono.
- Defended board of directors of NYSE company in action for breach of fiduciary duty.
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Certified Business Litigation Lawyer
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Securities Litigation, Trusts & Estates) 2009-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018 (10+ year recognition)
- Top 100: Florida Super Lawyers, 2018
- Top 50: Tampa Bay Super Lawyers
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine, 2007-2008, 2011-2013, 2015, 2017-2018
- The Florida Bar
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Officer, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Officer and Master, Cheatwood Inn of Court
- Federal Bar Association
- Elder, Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church
- Board member, chairman, officer and founder of various community organizations
- Forty Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Thirty Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2017 and Top 5 Law Firm With the Most Honorees
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- Forty Two Trenam Lawyers Named to the 2016 Florida Super Lawyers and 2016 Florida Rising Stars Lists
- Thirty-Two Trenam Attorneys Listed in 2016 Best Lawyers in America Including Two as Lawyer of the Year
- Nineteen Trenam Law Attorneys Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite: Firm is Ranked #1 With Most Women Named to Legal Elite
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite Includes 11 Trenam Attorneys: Firm is ranked second on list of most women honorees
Charlie has authored articles and chapters in books and periodicals on commercial law, corporate reorganization, and shareholder responsibilities.
Charlie has presented numerous seminars in bar association programs and served as legal commentator on television programs.