Charles “Charlie” Ketchey is a Senior Member in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group. His practice includes business and corporate litigation. Prior to joining the firm, he was a senior litigation attorney and partner in the Tampa office of Akerman Senterfitt, and in the local Tampa firm of Ketchey Horan.
- Plaintiff representation before jury on fraud, securities, fiduciary duty issues.
- Pro bono plaintiff representation in jury case for elder abuse and breach of fiduciary duty
- Defended national radio network against copyright infringement claim
- Represented rock band in prosecution of copyright claim.
- Represented international biotech designer/manufacturer and related corporate principals in defense and prosecution of intellectual property, software, copyright, contract and shareholder claims in multiple state, federal and international courts.
- Defended international software project management firm against breach of contract claims.
- Represented board of directors of large nonprofit hospital in related and multiple class and other cases in state and federal courts in defense of ERISA, fiduciary duty, contract and tort claims.
- Represented NYSE corporation in arbitration of lease terms of chemical pipeline.
- Represented resort company in defense of claim for commissions before jury.
- Prosecuted misrepresentation claim in jury case for general contractor.
- Represented NYSE corporation in development of defensive business and bankruptcy strategy in the Enron case. Prosecuted related property claims in adversary proceeding. Case involved extreme financial exposure.
- Defended national insurer in jury trial of multi-million bad faith claim.
- Represented board of directors of public corporation in defense of class action securities claim.
- Represented auto manufacturer in prosecution of claim for injunctive relief and turnover of dies and tools for manufacture of parts, avoiding shutdown of overseas manufacturing plants.
- Represented minority shareholders and partners in multiple real estate partnerships in defense and prosecution of claims for control, injunctions and other relief.
- Represented board of directors, officers and shareholders of multiple insurance related entities in defense of claims by state agency in state and bankruptcy courts. Case involved extreme financial exposure.
- Represented national bank serving as trustee in prosecution of action for injunction and shareholder ownership, and in defense of action by IRS.
- Represented retired sheet rock installer for union pension benefits, pro bono.
- Defended board of directors of NYSE company in action for breach of fiduciary duty.
Honors and Distinctions
- Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, 2021, 2023
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Securities Litigation, Trusts & Estates, 2009-2023
- Lawyer of the Year, 2022
- Board Certified Business Litigation Lawyer
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006 – 2022 (10+ year recognition)
- Top 100: Florida Super Lawyers, 2018
- Top 50: Florida Super Lawyers, 2019
- Top 50: Tampa Bay Super Lawyers, 2020
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2007 – 2008, 2011 – 2013, 2015, 2017 – 2018, 2020
- The Florida Bar
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Officer, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Officer and Master, Cheatwood Inn of Court
- Federal Bar Association
- Elder, Palma Ceia Presbyterian Church
- Board member, chairman, officer and founder of various community organizations
- Forty-One Attorneys Listed in Tampa Magazine’s Top Lawyers for 2023
- Fifty-two Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023 Four Attorneys Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022
- Forty One Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2021
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021 by Tampa Magazine
- Fifty-Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized in Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2020
- Forty Seven Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2020
- Forty-Six Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Forty Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Thirty Four Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2017 and Top 5 Law Firm With the Most Honorees
- Forty-Five Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
- Thirty-Two Trenam Attorneys Listed in 2016 Best Lawyers in America Including Two as Lawyer of the Year
- Nineteen Trenam Law Attorneys Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite: Firm is Ranked #1 With Most Women Named to Legal Elite
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite Includes 11 Trenam Attorneys: Firm is ranked second on list of most women honorees
- Forty-Five Trenam Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars
- Twenty Four Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named to the 2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition
- Fifty Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named Florida Super Lawyers and Florida Rising Stars
- Thirty-Two Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers in America 2014
- Fifteen Trenam Kemker Lawyers Named to Florida Trend’s Legal Elite and Up and Comers
Charlie has authored articles and chapters in books and periodicals on commercial law, corporate reorganization, and shareholder responsibilities. Charlie has also presented numerous seminars in bar association programs and served as legal commentator on television programs.
- “A Child’s Justice,” Author, Amazon Kindle Store, July 2019