Gregg Hutt is a Shareholder in the firm's Construction and Commercial Litigation groups. Gregg is a key partner on the team and is experienced in advising on all types of construction disputes. His clients include owners/developers and contractors in a wide variety of ventures, including: hotels, hospitals, military facilities, civil and infrastructure works, as well as a variety of commercial projects. Gregg leverages his ten years of experience in architecture, having earned a B.D., in Architecture, with honors from the University of Florida prior to joining Trenam, to the benefit of his clients.
Gregg’s experience includes significant matters involving design, construction, performance, and payment disputes from pre-litigation through trial and appeal. He also has extensive experience drafting and negotiating agreements with contractors, owner/developers, and design professionals for multi-phase and complex projects.
Gregg is Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law and is listed in Chambers USA, an international ranking and rating service for attorneys, in the field of Construction Law. Gregg has been recognized by Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Florida Legal Elite, and is A/V Preeminent Peer Review rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Represented owners and design professionals regarding claims of design professional malpractice.
- Represented owners/developers and contractors in multi-million dollar matters involving claims of contractor performance and delay on large-scale infrastructure and mixed use projects.
- Drafted and negotiated multiple public and private construction agreements for complex and multi-phased construction and development projects ranging from $2 million to $195 million.
- Represented contractor regarding construction defect and payment claims involving 42-story luxury hi-rise condominium.
- Represented national developer of government buildings against the General Services Administration for unpaid increased construction costs.
- Represented publically traded lender against claims of lender liability and improper funding of construction loans.
- Represented contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, and owners/developers in matters of payment disputes and construction lien and bond claims.
- Defended contractors and developers in condominium defect claims arising upon transfer of control of the association.
- Represented contractors in governmental bid protests.
- Defended surety against performance bond claims.
- Drafted multiple forms of agreement for the construction and related industries, including Takeover and Completion Agreements in the surety context.
- Forest Brooke/Hillsborough LLC v. Henriquez, 194 So.3d 1091, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 2d. District June 29, 2016
- State v. Peter R. Brown Construction, Inc.108 So.3d 723, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 1st District March 1, 2013
- 9640 Ulmerton Rd., LLC v. Golden Fuel, Inc. 64 So.3d 1274, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 2nd District June 29, 2011
- Marinich v. Special Edition Custom Homes, LLC 48 So.3d 847, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 2nd District November 19, 2010
- Marinich v. Special Edition Custom Homes, LLC 1 So.3d 1197, District Court of Appeal of Florida, 2nd District February 6, 2009
Honors and Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation; Construction Law) 2019-2020
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law
- Tampa Magazine's Top Lawyers List, 2018-2020
- Chambers USA Ranked, Construction Law, 2016-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2014-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2013
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2014, 2016-2019
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Construction Law Section, Co-Chair, 2018 - 2020
- Construction Law Certification Review Course Committee, Co-Vice Chair, 2017-2018
- Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
- Trenam Law Receives High Marks by Prestigious Chambers and Partners For 2020
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers 2020 by Tampa Magazine
- Forty-Six Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Twenty One Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2019
- Forty-Nine Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
- Trenam Law Attorneys Recognized As Top Lawyers 2019 By Tampa Magazine
- Forty Attorneys from Trenam Law Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019
- Twenty Attorneys Named to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” 2018
- Forty Seven Trenam Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
- Trenam Law Receives High Marks by Prestigious Chambers and Partners For 2018
- Co-Author (with John Vento and Patrick Poff), Florida Section of the Cumulative Supplement, Fifty-State Lien and Bond Law Manual-Second Edition, Aspen Law Publishing, 2004-present, original pub. date 2000
- Presenter, Chapter 558 - Florida Statutes, The Florida Bar Advanced Construction Law Certification Review Course, March 2017
- Presenter, Fundamentals of Construction Law—Schedule and Time Impact Issues, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry Regional Program Tampa, November 2013
- Panelist, Federal Government Contractors Luncheon Presentation hosted by M.E. Wilson, Inc., discussing Federal claims, the Buy American Act and Federal Contractor Ethics, July 2012
- Panelist, Davis Bacon Roundtable, Associated Builders and Contractors, Florida Gulf Coast Chapter meeting, June 2012
- Presenter, Practical Issues in Construction Litigation—Contract Drafting and Planning, HCBA Construction Law Section CLE, February 2012
- “Leave of Absence: A Reasonable Accommodation,” Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Lawyer magazine, April 2008
- Co-Author (with Patrick Poff), “Drafting and Negotiating Contractual Indemnity Agreements,” a section of the Construction Checklists: A Guide to Frequently Encountered Construction Issues, published by the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry, 2008.
- Co-Author (with William P. Cassidy, Jr.), Chapter C, Best Practices to Help Effectively Administer FMLA Leave in Your Organization to Avoid Costly Mistakes, Council on Education in Management FMLA Update, 2006
- Presenter, The Importance of Specifying Defects and Claims under Chapter 558, Fla. Stats., Lorman CLE seminar, December 2005
In addition to the speaking engagements listed, Gregg has done numerous private presentations on construction lien law for lenders, contractors and subcontractors.